Like any good company, VIPKid is constantly updating their hiring process to help ensure well-qualified and well-prepared candidates and teachers. Below is a description of the process as of May 27, 2019.
If you are interested in applying and would like my help navigating through the steps, feel free to apply using my referral code. I will be happy to act as your mentor, review the emails you receive and use the resources available to me as a current teacher to help get any questions you have answered!
This is a very short and fast process, but it’s important that you understand the minimum requirements. See a step-by-step walkthrough here:
The interview process is currently changing, and for most applicants, there are three options.
- Option 1: Smart Demo Lesson (100% on smartphone app)Brief content review of VIPKid Essentials
- 5-question quiz
- Sample Teaching/Demo (1-slide, 2.5 minutes)
For more information about the Smart Demo Lesson, see:
- Option 2: Simplified Demo Lesson (Beginning 5/27/19)
Effective May 27, 2019, some applicants are being offered the chance to schedule a live “Simplified Demo Lesson. This may be done live or via recorded session. For more information, see:
- Option 3: Fast Pass Coaching Day
If you live in certain areas, you can take part in a VIPKid fast pass coaching day. This is a 3.5 hour event that allows you to meet other teachers and complete hands on learning as you go through the process. To learn more, see:
3. Teacher Preparation
Once you have passed the interview and demo, you will want to take some time and prepare for the certification/mock class process. A few key things to think about:
- What ages of students would you most like to teach?
- Based on feedback from your demo, what areas do you most need to review and/or practice?
- What TPR, props, etc. will you use for your certification?
- Have you gotten feedback from your mentor on your mock classes?
Here’s a quick article to walk you through some of the basic steps you can take to prepare during this phase: VIPKid Teacher Prep.
4. Mock Class/Certification
By this point, you have passed the tough parts, and now you just need to get certified. You should know what levels you want to teach.
- Lower Levels (2/3)
- Certification will be on Level 2 Interactive curriculum
- Applicants should review the Level 3 information independently in the certification area of the teacher portal upon successful completion
- Intermediate Levels (4/5)
I’ve developed a more comprehensive guide for preparing for the Lower Levels.
I’ll add the upper level guide here once it’s complete.
5. Contract Signature
You’ve done it! You have passed the steps in the hiring process, and now it’s time to sign your contract. This can all be done digitally.
You will be signing an independent contractor agreement, and it will include:
- All of the legal info
- Restrictions on how to (or how not to) use the VIPKid platform
- Information about equipment and personnel
- Payment processes and disputes
- Confidentiality and information surrounding the intellectual property of VIPKid
- Term dates
- Specific information about each type of class you might be teaching
- Fees, incentives, and penalties
- And more!
You may have noticed that VIPKid sends you a list of documentation you will need for the next step in the process. They send this early on because the process is time-sensitive, so you’ll want to get these ready. (They ask that you upload all documents within 24 hours of passing your mock class certification.) If you have unusual circumstances, this can be extended; however, I recommend having the materials ready to go so you can get on to the contract!
You will need:
- A copy of your bachelor’s or master’s degree. This can be a photo of your diploma or a transcript.
- Your teaching license (if you have one.)
- Your passport, ID card, or driver’s license
- W-9 form (for US Nationals or US residents)
- If you have a TESOL certificate or TEFL certificate, you can upload it now and skip step 7!
7. VIPKid TESOL certificate (required if no teaching degree)
Once you have passed your mock class certification, there is one final step before signing your contract.
VIPKid has collaborated with TESOL to provide VIPKid teachers with a free certification program on TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.) If you have a degree in education, this is not required, though it is recommended. If your degree is in another field, you will be required to complete this course before signing your contract.
I voluntarily completed both this foundational certification as well as advanced TESOL, and I found that they helped my teaching skills and my bookings!
This is not insignificant. The program is estimated to take between 10-11 hours, though your mentor can provide you with tips to help you move through the process more quickly and efficiently.
I hope you have found this overview helpful. As I mentioned at the beginning, if you are interested in applying and would like my help navigating through the steps, feel free to apply using my referral code. It can feel overwhelming but I promise it’s not. If you take one step at a time, you’ll be teaching before you know it!
If you have any questions or I can be of any help, please let me know in the comments!