Effective May 27, 2019, some applicants are being offered the chance to schedule either a live or recorded “Simplified Demo Lesson. This replaces the traditional VIPKid Interview and Full Demo for new applicants.
*Disclaimer* I have not known anyone to go through this yet, but this is based on my research and feedback from other referral mentors! (I’d love for you to be one of the first!)
This is very much like the VIPKid Interview and Full Demo, but the demo portion is shorter and more simplified. It’s based off of the “Me, Myself, and I” lesson and it is just a couple of slides and the demonstration is designed to take only 5 minutes.
What to Expect
If you choose the live demo, here is what you can expect:
- Question and Answer Session: Your interviewer will begin with a question and answer session, just like the full demo. This is a friendly discussion that’s meant to highlight your educational background, experience, and what you bring to VIPKid.
- 5-Minute Demo: You will need to be prepared to teach a short, 5- minute demo on the slides provided. You will need to:
- Review the slides in advance and practice. It’s important to be comfortable with the material on each slide.
- Use TPR. These gestures are a vital part of becoming a VIPKid teacher, so you’ll want to include them in your demo.
- Build rapport with the “student” in your introduction.
- Use props. Because there are only a few slides, you do not need to have a lot of props, but I would suggest at least two simple props to help illustrate the lesson.
- Use a reward. You will want to reward your student for doing well when they respond appropriately.
- Correct mistakes. Your interviewer WILL make mistakes, so you will want to be prepared. Be ready to encourage them to use complete sentences and correct pronunciation, and then reward them enthusiastically when they do!
- Coaching and Guidance: Based on your interview and demo, your interviewer will provide you specific feedback about how you might fit with VIPKid and what you can do to improve and prepare for the next step – VIPKid Certification!
If you choose the recorded demo, of course you will miss out on the interactive discussion, but it’s an easy (and convenient) way to get started. You should receive your results within 24 hours, and it does give you the chance to record multiple times within a two-hour window. (Do-over, anyone?) If you don’t pass the first time, you will have an opportunity to resubmit.
If you haven’t already applied, this is the perfect time to take advantage of the new, easier options! The process is always being updated to make it a better experience for our new teachers, so if you would like some help navigating through the process, I’d love to be your mentor through the process. The first step is completing the VIPKid Application.
Once you have applied and we are connected, I’ll reach out to you so we can get started!